Tag Archives: losangeles
This week there are six QS meet ups planned all over the world. Follow the links below to learn more. You can also find the full list of the over 100 QS meet ups in the right sidebar. Don’t see one near you? Why not start your own!
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Looks like QS Rio has three great show&tell talks on tap for their meetup!
Los Angeles, California
Join QS LA members for an informal “Happy Hour” to talk about QS, new tools, and interesting projects you’re working on.
Austin QS meetup organizers, Mark and Laurie Frick are inviting the community to join them for evening of socializing and story sharing. They’ll also have a featured interview with Peter Zandan, “a Big-Data guru, investor and advisor to the Quantified-Self community. He’s noted for finding surprises in the data, and will curious to hear his take on self-tracking.” Sound like fun!
Our friends at the Berlin QS Meetup are having their 7th show&tell Thursday evening. From the description it sounds like a fascinating talk on sleep tracking is on the agenda.
Join the QS Indianapolis meetup group as they discuss experiences using the the popular productivity and computer use tracker, RescueTime.
I had the great pleasure of attending a QS meetup in Los Angeles this past weekend, hosted by Eric Blue. There was a great group there, 30 or so folks. One great comment in the introductions was from someone near the end of the circle saying, “This is totally blowing my mind!”
Eric has put together a compilation of slides and links from all five LA meetups so far. Here it is:
Show & Tells
- Ernesto Ramirez gave a presentation (My Bits of Fit) on his Fitbit data and activity patterns, including some great visualizations (Thanks to @chloester)!
- Slides at Inside Tracker – QS LA Presentation
- The Ultimate Answer
- Introduction to the Happiness Formula
- Site at http://workfoodout.com/
- Demo at http://traqs.me
- Slides at http://www.slideshare.net/ericblue76/traqsme-presentation
- Chloe Fan - Visualizations for My Bits of Fit
- Fitbit + Google Spreadsheets = Awesome
- Fitbit Hacks - Eric’s original unofficial API to scrape data
- Fitbit’s Official API
- Cake Health
- Creating the Ultimate Personal Travel Journal
- Eric’s Personal Memex Project
- GeoLocation (GPS) and Self-Tracking
- Gordon Bell’s My Life Bits Project
Most of you have may have heard of TED or watched the talks online, but do you know about BIL, the quirky, populist, unconference option taking place nearby? Open to the public and fully participant powered, BIL features a wild mix of technologists, scientists, artists, and hackers.
Join the fun March 5-6th on the historic Queen Mary, docked in Long Beach. Expect to hear topics from Life Extension and Robotics to DIY biology, the future of the Pharmaceutical Industry, and Open Hardware Hacking. This year, many members of local LA hackerspaces will participate, and you can hear about the exciting technologies being developed by these tinkerers.
To join this weekend of mind expanding discussion, sign up at http://www.bilconference.com/uncategorized/sign-up-for-bil-2011/
Thanks to Joseph Jackson for sending this in.