Roundup: Fitness Tracking Tools

Screen shot 2010-09-30 at 10.15.27 AM.png

How do you measure your fitness? (image by byam)

Do you track your running, cycling, steps, weight, or calories? What’s your favorite tool? This week’s roundup is focused on fitness.

It’s part of our regular weekly tool roundup for the complete catalog we’re putting together of all the self-tracking tools out there. Please help us to make sure we include your favorite tool, your company, or your project. Self-promotion is allowed!

Here are all the fitness tracking tools we’ve found so far. Please let me know what we’re missing in the comments below.

A&D  Weighing
The Crescendo Project
Traineo
WalkingSpree
Withings
Youw8

Thanks for your help!

This entry was posted in Tool Roundups and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to Roundup: Fitness Tracking Tools

1. Clark Weber says:

You’re missing Garmin Connect, TrainingPeaks, Strava, DailyMile

2. Brian Borchers says:

I wonder how many of us track this stuff on our own spreadsheets? I use Google Docs to track my running mileage, time, pace, heart rate, and shoe mileage. I also use my spreadsheet to track weight, BP, resting pulse, and blood glucose…
    Unfortunately, I haven’t found any tool online that would let me monitor all of this stuff and have good control over my data (privacy, the ability to take my data with me to another site, etc.) Google Docs may seem primitive, but it meets my needs.

3. Steve Carleton says:

runningfreeonline.com, it used to be called runsaturday.com. Even though the name immplies running, you can track all aspects of fitness activities.
    It is free and easy to use.

4. Dave C. says:

+1 on DailyMile.com. It’s not as strong for tracking other activities, but definitely great for running.

5. Marisette says:

I used iPhone apps Tap & Track and LeanScale. Tap & Track helps me balance calories in with calories expended. (As a rower I haven’t yet found a worthwhile tool to help me track my rowing.) LeanScale helps me visualize the balance between my lean and fat body weight, which I think is a better measure of fitness than just body weight or BMI.

6. Don Moxley says:

We have developed exercise tracking systems for delivering and tracking workouts. Software is ViA Fitness Manager. See video of product in action at http://bit.ly/9qpo2m I’ve also started using a new tool from Zephyr. http://www.zephyr-technology.com/hxm.html It’s a heart rate monitor with motion sensor built in, blue tooth to my Android phone. The app is SportsTracklive.com Started using it a month ago, first time in 12 years there haven’t been a Polar monitor on my wrist.

7. Dr. Bertalan Mesko says:

Great list! There are almost 20 similar fitness sites and communities on Webicina. http://www.webicina.com/fitness/fitness-community-sites-facebook-groups-and-forums/

8. Jeff says:

Ascent Activity Tracker is a native Mac application for tracking running and other activities.
    Garmin Training Center is the native application that Garmin uses to sync with their GPS devices.

9. Lance says:

I use DailyDiary.com to track exercise routines and other personal metrics. You enter data through email reminders, so keeping it up-to-date takes no time at all.

Awesome, thanks everyone!! Keep the great suggestions coming!

11. Derek says:

Google Health has a wellness tracker section to it that allows you to add any sort of activity you can imagine. Of course it has all the normal “wellness” factors, but you can add just about anything.

12. Nick says:

GAIN Fitness will be added to this list soon…it’s a workout recommendation engine across weightlifting, sports, cardio and stretching, with a tracking component that will adapt your workout to you.
    We’ll be demo’ing at Quantified Self Bay Area Meetup this Weds 10/6, so see you there!

13. Ken Taylor says:

Google MyTracks is an Android application for monitoring route information. Links to to Google Docs and Google MyMaps. Open source which is nice.

14. Jamie E. says:

Isn’t WeightWatchers actually the dominant one? Or is that just too low tech? ;)

15. Chris Bowers says:

Maximuscle and Mens Health also have portals you can customise to track nutrition and exercise etc.

16. Andy G says:

AnytimeHealth.com tracks your nutrition and activity while connecting you with other fitness-minded individuals. iPhone and Android apps are in development.

17. John Roberts says:

DailyMile.com

18. Christoph Zelazowski says:

Hi Alexandra,
    Daily Tracker (www.thedailytracker.com) for the iPhone and iPod Touch is a general purpose tracker that can be used for anything, especially Health & Fitness related activities.
    Have a great day!
    -Christoph

19. jack says:

I have been using DailyBurn since August 18th and it only takes about five minutes a day of my time to put in all nutrition and exercise. The nutrition catalog of foods has a lot of brand names and if what I ate is not readily available, I either create it or just pick something close. I have not tried any other sites and the PRO version, which I used for 30 days is faster and more complete but not free.

20. dennis says:

I have found Plus3 Network to be a remarkable tool in that it allows the recording of over 75 different activities by coordinating input by hand or by GPS enabled devices and heart rate info to overlay this data onto Google maps. A very compelling additional feature is that every activity that is recorded in your name is set up to take money from a sponsor at a rate tuned to the energy of input and donated it to a charity of your choice. all this info is aggregated on a personal landing page and fed back to you monthly. This is a winner! See:
    http://www.plus3network.com/ cheers, db

21. Wookie says:

Strands.com is a free online training log. Great tool to log your miles, track your sleep/weight/calories and interact with other athletes of same interest. You can keep it simple or take it a whole new level.
    Also has a sleek iPhone app: real-time athlete tracking, live messages and gear mileage control. It’s a complete training log for active people.

22. Alex C says:

I use EndoMondo for tracking speed, distance, route, etc. on my runs (though you can use it for biking, or any moving sport really!) Check it out at http://www.endomondo.com

23. Tim V says:

Hi,
    I use Sport Tracks by ZoneFive Software for logging my run, swim and cycling workouts and all of the HR, power, speed and pace data from these workouts. It also has the ability to track equipment usage in time or distance. Users can also submit and share plug ins that enhance the basic software package. It emulates Training Peaks in many ways but is much cheaper and in my opinion more functional mainly because of the user collaboration with plug ins.
    Golden Cheetah is another tracker I use although this is primarily for cycling.

24. DT says:

Add gymtechnik.com as well.

25. James says:

You’re missing Polar HRM.. Actually IMO probably a big miss as that is one of the most common fitness tracker.
    Polar also does an activity watch that you wear all day, and based on movement calculates “active” time and uploads the data to a web tracking site.

26. Pingback: Eric Blue’s Blog » Weekly Lifestream for November 28th

27. Ronnie Brown says:

FitLink’s exercise log of course.

28. Tõnis Saag says:

http://www.sportlyzer.com – it’ an automated consulting service for runners cyclists etc. Besides being a tracking tool it analyzes and advises how to reach your fitness goals.

29. Robert Wasley says:

I have been looking around for wearable instruments to keep track of my health, so I appreciate having all of this information in one place. I would suggest assigning a description to each item listed above so users are not forced to look through all of the entries in order to find what they are looking for, otherwise good job.

30. Juls says:

I am currently uploading my GPS (forerunner 610) data to Garmin connect (formerly MotionBased). I’ve tracked all my workouts since May 2005 on Breakingthetape.com because I’m like that. I must say, I take comfort in knowing that I’m not alone in this obsessiveness. Self Quantified, Type A, whatever you want to call it. It’s me.

31. Yago says:

Hi, actually I work for a fresh mobile Health start-up in Zurich, Switzerland and we have are starting a Health Platform called https://www.QUENTIQ.com. We enable the users to compete to each other. We have a central score which is called “QUENTIQ Health Score” and this is a an indicator of your current health status. The QUENTIQ platform is technology neutral and supports third party devices such as Withings, Wahoo and Polar.

For anyone interested in learning more about how the QUENTIQ Health platform, I’d encourage you to check out our blog. https://blog.quentiq.com or sig-nup and the test the health platform for 60 days free.

We have a free smartphone (iphone, Android, BlackBerry) Tracker App which is kind of a “tool” because with that app you can track many fitness activities such as running, biking, walking, in-lining GPS-tracked and many more without GPS-tracking for indoor activities. Give it a try its called QUENTIQ or let me know what you think about it!

32. charlie says:

been using fitocracy.com for a while, its aight.