Roundup: Lifelogging Tools

Lifelogging – the continuous capture of a large part of one’s life. Some people use paper journals, others sport wearable cameras, post status updates, or tap numbers into their smart phones. If you record your life or make tools to record lives, read on!

This post is part of our regular tool roundup for the complete catalog we’re putting together of all the self-tracking tools out there. Please help us to make sure we include your favorite tool, your company, or your project. Self-promotion is allowed!

Here are all the lifelogging tools we’ve found so far. Please let me know what we’re missing in the comments below.

Catch
TallyZoo
The Daily Tracker
Track-n-Graph
Twitter
your.flowingdata

[Photo credit: jeanbaptisteparis]

This entry was posted in Tool Roundups and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Roundup: Lifelogging Tools

1. Emil says:

Some tools I’m using: Wakoopa, last.fm, Gowalla, Foursquare, Nike+ and Momento

2. ted newcomb says:

Cool tool for journaling

3. Trey says:

iPhone apps: Tap and Track (for food and exercise) and TimeTracker (working hours).

4. Kevin Olega says:

A wordpress based blog can help as well.

5. Kevin McKenzie says:

Not that I use it enough, but Optimism is a cross-platform (Mac, Windows, iPhone, Web, and I think Android) application for keeping track of mental health information.

6. Cataphora’s Digital Mirror is a fascinating way to “lifelog” an individual by showcasing the way in which he/she interacts with others in the digital world over a period of time. By examining your archived email messages, it enables you to examine your online behaviors from an objective standpoint to highlight key trends in your personal digital interactions.

Once you’ve taken the time to analyze the visualizations and reflect on the results, you might conclude that the way you perceive your digital actions differs dramatically from the objective reality of the results. The nine visualizations of the initial version of Digital Mirror function as a vehicle for self assessment and reflection, one which is deeply rooted in the contemporary world. Although personal transparency and accountability can be seen as a scary thing, Digital Mirror gives you the tools to improve your behavior, your personal relations, and your decision making.

7. Pingback: Tweets that mention Roundup: Lifelogging Tools | Quantified Self -- Topsy.com

8. gwern says:

The list broken down into sections (website, cellphone app, device etc.) would be more useful than just the dump.

For example, I already spend too much time on websites, so I’m only interested in lifelogging proper, with cameras. Turns out that there are no good lifelogging camcorders! At least, no one has told me of any although I list some of the better ones at http://lesswrong.com/lw/2vv/lifelogging_the_recording_device/ and we brainstormed a few alternatives.

9. Shawn Petriw says:

I like using FitDay.com to track food, weight, exercise and other things.

10. Pingback: Other Ten Percent » Other Ten Percent 1/03/11

11. Pingback: Resolutions and Self-Tracking

12. Pingback: Resolutions and Self-Tracking | Quantified Self

13. Corey Haines says:

Our application, MercuryApp, allows you a lot of flexibility in what you are tracking, as well as an easy interface to log things. It is based around how the idea of rating something on a scale, rather than absolutely free-form information tracking (although you can also track free-form information alongside it). This allows you a more focused view during analysis.
    I use it to track things from short-time-boxes software trials and events to long-term attitude about certain things.

14. John Fass says:

Hi, I think you’re missing the Vicon Revue camera from your list. The best photo life logging tool I’ve come across http://www.viconrevue.com/home.html Light, easy to use, takes a image every 20 seconds, amazing battery life. See my site above for documentation of a 3 month project with the camera. I’m not affiliated with Vicon at all by the way. Do contact me if you want more details about the project or using the camera. John

15. Sophie says:

How about Memolane?

16. Allison says:

I do alot of work on the computer and really like Chrometa (www.chrometa.com) for keeping track of what I in any given day and getting it autocategorized for easy analysis. I can even hook up my work and home computers to the same account.

17. Roger says:

I’m working on a general purpose data tracking tool for Android. I use it as a lifelog for things like mood, sleep quality. It also works as a counter for my nicotine habit. The advantage of having it on the phone is that it will remind you to log the data. It’s one of the few general purpose data loggers that I know of. Find it here, leave feedback here

18. Beth Sanders says:

Check out http://www.LifeBio.com. It has promopting questions that can help lifeloggers. You can create a biography, a short “chapter” of your life (example: travel story) or keep your journal at LifeBio.com. It also allows for uploading of photos, videos, and audio. The coolets thing is that it instantly compiles what you’re writing into a ready-to-print, ready-to-share PDF. We help track and store what people would find interesting!

19. A mild version of life logging is keeping a diary. If you’re not so much into writing – like me – taking snapshots, with your mobile or so, is an easily done yet accurate surrogate. The service Photonado dot com, which I helped start is now in beta. It’s like flickr but with a default “sort by date taken” approach to enable users to “log their life in pictures”. Feel free to check it out.

20. A mild version of life logging is keeping a diary. If you’re not so much into writing – like me – taking snapshots, with your mobile or so, is an easily done yet accurate surrogate. The service Photonado, which I helped start is now in beta. It’s like flickr with a default “sort by date taken” approach to enable users to “log their life in pictures”. Feel free to check it out.